Monday, March 11, 2019

THE SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH MOVEMENT FINALLY LISTENS TO ME. BUT IT'S TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE.

I posted this article on 17 February 2019 and as it is my invariable practice whenever I criticise the Speak Good English Movement on my blog, I went to the SGEM's Facebook page and posted a link to this blog and I also posted an unequivocal statement that the SGEM was once again wrong. I do this all the time: whenever I post something against the SGEM, I inform it of what I have done on its Facebook page or on its website.  

The next day, I discovered that the SGEM had removed the video along with what I had posted from its Facebook page.

I then went abroad for a holiday and I forgot all about this matter. Upon my return home yesterday, I got a message from a friend who told me that the SGEM had re-posted its video but without the erroneous part I wrote about in my 17 February post. That whole section is now missing in the video that appears on its Facebook page. The date of the new video posting is 7 March 2019. Just two weeks after I blasted the SGEM for its error in my blog post, the SGEM actually edited its video, removed the embarrassing error and re-posted the video.

But this error is just one of the millions of errors the SGEM has made. What about all the other errors?

What about the three books on grammar that the SGEM has published in which every single page contains some embarrassing error that no child of ten will make? The disgraceful English As It Is Broken is still on sale in book shops and it is still a best seller among the poor unsuspecting schoolchildren in Singapore.  I have posted countless blog posts about the errors of this book as well as its sequel, English As It Is Broken Vol. 2 As I wrote in my blog, you cannot go through a single page in either volume without encountering some egregious blunder that no child would make.

What about the latest grammar published by the SGEM in 2017 called Grammar Rules? I have written two blog posts on its errors and concluded that it's really 'a hotchpotch of different sources brought together, altered and edited by a confused panel that knows nothing about English grammar'.   What about its Facebook page that is filled with outrageous errors? What about its website that contains errors you would never believe anyone with a mere primary school education could possibly make?

If the SGEM really wants to make amends for all the harm it has done to language learning in Singapore, the only decent thing it should do is to close down the organisation altogether. Removing one tiny error that I wrote about in my blog post is not good enough; that's just the tip of the iceberg. The SGEM should be honest with Singaporeans. It should confess that it really has no knowledge of even the rudiments of English grammar and every pronouncement on grammar that it has ever made is flawed and erroneous.

For a list of all the errors made by the SGEM and its committee members and consultants that I have addressed in this blog, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment